Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Sensory Play with Goop

Baby Bear has been fighting a cold for the better part of a week. I blame this horrible cold front that forced us all to remain indoors. By the end of the week, we should be experiencing warmer than normal temperatures again, and able to get back outside, but until then, we will be playing in the house.


Actually, we are going to be playing in the kitchen today, because it is a great place to make a mess. Our mess is going to be called Goop. If you have never experienced Goop before let me enlighten you. It is very similar to slime, but does not contain glue. At 19 months, Baby Bear still puts everything in her mouth, and I want her to be able to play without worrying about poisoning my child. So here is the recipe.

Goop
Ingredients

  • 1 container of corn starch
  • 2 cups of water
  • food coloring
Directions

  1. Pour the corn starch into your play container. 
  2. Add the water and stir with a wooden spoon until all of the corn starch has combined with the water. 
  3. Food coloring is optional. Adding it with the water will give you a base color, while adding it after gives a more marblized look. 

As you can see, Baby Bear was quite curious about the new textures in her tub. She had fun mixing in the food coloring and feeling the Goop change from a solid in the container to a liquid in her hands. For easy clean up, I just picked her up and put her, clothes and all, into the tub. After she was clean, I popped a lid on the container so we have it for nest time and mopped the floor. Not too difficult at all. 


I hope this inspires you to get messy with your toddler. Let me know how it goes. I would love to see the pictures. 
Thanks, for playing with us. 
Kristie

No comments: