Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Cleaning and Seasoning a Rusty Cast Iron Skilllet

I love cooking in cast iron. There is something incredibly homey and timeless about it. My grandma had a huge stack of cast iron pots and skillets in her basement that she would pull out to make my grandpa's favorite southern dishes. A few years back, my mom bought me my first cast iron skillet, and it is my go to for homemade fried chicken.

The chore of cooking is usually my department, because I enjoy it, but in my house, the cook does not do the dishes. With four teenagers in the house, this is really no big deal. They take turns cleaning up the mess and most everything goes into the dishwasher. Sadly, my youngest son put my cast iron skillet in there, and well.... See for yourself.


I almost cried. Lucky for me, this is only surface rust, so I can clean it at home. If it was any deeper, I would recommend getting it sandblasted at a machine shop. 


1. Start by using a damp S.O.S. pad to scrub the rust off the pan. This may take a couple passes, but look how nice the pan is starting to look. 


2. Put a small amount of dish soap a sponge and wash away the S.O.S. residue. I realize that normally you should avoid putting water in your cast iron, but we don't want to bake on the S.O.S. soap/grease. Thoroughly dry your pan before moving onto the next step. 


3. Pour a tablespoon of olive oil into your skillet, and spread it around the inside of the pan with a piece of paper towel. Add a little bit more, of you notice it getting dry. Add a teaspoon to rub into the outside of the pan and handle. 


4. Put your oiled skillet upside down on the center rack of your oven. Put a cookie sheet on the rack underneath to catch any drips. Allow the skillet to season in a 350-degree oven for 90 minutes. 


5. Remove from the oven. Wipe out any residual oil and allow to cool. 

Hopefully you never have to deal with a rusty cast iron skillet, but if you do, these simple steps should let you revive your pan back to new. Let me know what you think and how it works for you. 
Thanks for stopping by, 

Kristie

No comments: